Saturday, April 9, 2016

State Project: Oregon

I'm not sure when I became aware of Oregon. It was several years ago. It might have been via my 26 Days of Advent blog. But suddenly I had a friend in Oregon. I love the internet.

Oregon is Bixby turning to me about 5 years ago and saying, "I want to surprise you but I know you don't like surprises and so I thought instead I would tell you my plan and then you can help me." Because he's met me. And then we were planning a trip to Oregon.

Oregon is the best bookstore in the country.

Oregon is deciding, sure, we can walk up to the top of that waterfall. And to the bottom of that crater. And back to the top.

Oregon is seeing a starfish in the wild for the first time.

It is sharing a meal with someone the internet brought into my life.

Oregon is my kind of place. But I knew I didn't belong there. My home is where people decided they'd moved far enough. Oregon is as far as you can go without building a boat and continuing into oblivion. Oregon is where people stopped because they had to.

Have I been to Oregon? Yes.





2 comments:

  1. We've been to some of the same places in Oregon. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to go. Though I bristled a little at the idea of only oblivion being west of Oregon. No, the rest of the world is west of Oregon!

    (And yes, I am being pedantic because I do realise you were referring only to the continent!)

    ReplyDelete