Thursday, March 31, 2016

State Project: Michigan

Michigan is game for it. I met Michigan first at a roleplaying game convention. If alarms aren't going off in your head right now, you're my people.

Michigan, though, stepped into my life for real several years later. Michigan was game for it. Learn stained glass? Sure. Help me strip the paint off my stairs? Ok, when? Enable all my fiber hobbies? Of course.

Michigan came with me to the school where I taught and we put together hundreds of mosaic concrete stepping stones. For a project I didn't finish because I had a baby and left it behind. We organized the library and dewey decimal system'd the hell out of that place. And she'd step into the hallway and play trumpet to hear the echo.

Michigan went to hobby stores with me. Michigan went to Cairo with me. Michigan went to Alabama with me.

Michigan is game for it.

I visited Michigan, together with her, to her parents' place. The next day we joined her whole family at a place where they rode small-scale trains around while serving a 5 course meal.
I am not joking.

Michigan is learning to love a friend who isn't like me much at all. But who is game for it.

Michigan is probably a pretty nice place to be.

Lastly, Michigan is this, it is a camping trip with my family, my own little family of 5 people on this earth standing on a beach in front of Lake Superior and experiencing wonder for the first time in many many decades.
I am unabashedly completely in love with all I know of Michigan.

Have I been to Michigan? Of course I have.

2 comments:

  1. You had me at "If alarms aren't going off in your head right now, you're my people." And of course I love this sentence: "We organized the library and dewey decimal system'd the hell out of that place."

    ReplyDelete