Saturday, April 23, 2016

Just love them.

I love people.

Last night, talking with a friend about a ridiculous power struggle involving mutual acquaintances, I thought about how, in the end, what I try to do is just love people.

“The older I get, the more I meet people, the more convinced I am that we must only work on ourselves, to grow in grace. The only thing we can do about people is to love them.”--Dorothy Day

The power struggle involved is ridiculous and prideful on the part of the person in charge, and I thought, while I sat there, about how much I have ground down my edges in the past 4 years. How I really just try to meet people where they are and where I am and do my best.

Do my best to love them.

And when I find people who do that with me, I don't let go.

So I need to make it through April in the classroom without committing grave error. Not towards children, ever, but towards my coworkers because April is brutal in a school. No breaks, no days off, and then there's still May! It's beautiful outside and all I want to do is sit on my porch and listen to the Grateful Dead or Amos Lee and drink iced coffee from a jar in my bare feet while reading trashy novels or blogging. It isn't here yet. I want it but it's still so far away.


So I'm just going to try to love. Be easy. Ease back. Relax.

Soon it will be summer.

1 comment: